Friday 10 January 2014

Self-reflection

Mirror mirror on the wall, am I really the fairest of them all? I feel like I'm limiting your options here. Maybe there are other items of furniture out there you'd find fair, and you're just telling me what I want to hear. God, what am I doing asking a magical mirror to offer comment on the subjective nature of human attractiveness? I really shouldn't be dependent on such a hollow endorsement of my appearance. We're talking about a mirror with a conscious mind here, and I'm using it to maintain my ego. What the hell is wrong with me?

I'm sorry mirror, you could have any number of things going on and all I do is ask you to confirm if I'm pretty or not. I suppose I've been feeling a bit vulnerable lately. But it could be worse- I could be talking to furniture which doesn't talk back! Ha ha! But seriously, all the times you've said I'm the fairest in the land, did you really mean it? I know you've got your own problems and everything, but I'd really like to know. No, forget it. What's going on with you? We've never really sat down and just talked, you know? Just don't don't ask me if you're the fairest of all the mirrors! Ha ha! How would I even know? I don't know what makes a fair mirror. Not that I'm not saying you're not fair, it's just that with mirrors...

Oh god, I've made such a mess of this, I'm so sorry. I just wanted to be your friend and now I think I've just said something offensive to your people. Look, I understand that your ideas of attraction, if any, are probably directed towards other mirrors rather than human women, but I don't know where to go from here. Can I just leave you by the stoop and let you make your own destiny? You can't really move by yourself. How does it work for your kind? Oh god, that sounded small minded again. How... look, you know what? Forget it. You are my mirror and I will damn well tell what you're good for.

Now say that this dress was worth fifty quid.

No comments:

Post a Comment